Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Recycled Yarn Shawl

Otherwise known as the shawl from hell that I will never ever ever finish...

I hate to admit it, but it's getting easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been working on it during commute time on the train/bus. It's getting so wide now that I can only manage one row - two if there are delays - each ride. That is a good thing. It's getting so big, it's like a lap blanket, so sometimes I have to stop working on it 'cause I get too hot. This makes me happy. Now if I can just get past the fact that I still have 500 yds of yarn left, I'll be even happier....

Here's a closeup of the shawl showing my first attempt at creating my own 'lacy' pattern, aka 'a bunch of freakin' holes'.


Works for me, so I'm not complaining. It's an easy pattern so I don't need to use too much brain power. That is good. There are plenty of mistakes in the shawl, but life isn't perfect, and neither am I. The fuzziness of the faux mohair covers lots of sins. Gotta love it.

Here it is in all it's glory along with the remaining balls of yarn - all 500 yds of it...those little balls look so innocent, don't they?


I'm still going back and forth about how to finish it off. Do I fringe or not? If I fringe, do I add a few beads to said fringe for some sparkle? Hells yeah! Since I like things that sparkle and clink (I'll get into that later), I'm leaning toward the fringe with a few beads thrown in just because.

Guess I should stop calling this baby the shawl from hell. At least for now anyway. I'm starting to like it again. Sometimes I get bored with it - it's almost as bad as doing a baby blanket - but life usually steps in and breaks up the monotony.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:35 PM PDT

    Post another picture when you get done with it.

    ReplyDelete