Sunday, January 07, 2007

Plays with Balls Part Deux

...'cause I just can't get enough!

Hey Stephieface, I am SOOOO doing that with my Hugo (see her comment). I am about half way through winding up all my yarn stash and I will definitely be going back through it to re-wind some of the balls. I notice they are starting to un-ball themselves. Guess that's what happens when you first start playing with balls. You just got to learn the right techniques.

I am having so much fun with this (both the winding and using the word balls whenever I can) it should be illegal.

Last night, I convinced my friend Antonella to play with balls too. I told her she would have a ball (ha ha). So, while the guys were watching the Cowboys/Seahawks game, we hauled out Hugo. And while the Cowboys demonstrated how NOT to play with balls (so sorry they lost Gary, it was a heartbreaker), Antonella and I wound up a small bit of the 2600 yards of soft, green, boucle. We wound up about 8 balls of it and then couldn't take any more. Playing with balls can be very tiring, especially if you are the human swift. You're a trooper A! I'm gonna make you something special now as a thanks. Sometimes you just gotta have some help when the balls get too big. Now she has the skills to go off and play with balls on her own.

Sorry, but I don't have any pictures of us playing with balls. We were concentrating too much on our technique and trying not to get all tangled up. The guys were too busy watching the guys on TV play with balls to bother with us. Antonella and I were giggling and laughing the whole time. Here we were playing with balls, the guys were watching other guys play with balls, and every other word out of the game announcers' mouth was ball. "He grabs the ball...OHHH he drops the ball...moving the ball down the field...throwing the ball." It was a ball I tell you.

OK, I've got to stop. I can't take it anymore.

(And Stephieface? That's 22 times I used the word ball this time. Make that 23.)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:30 AM PST

    I wasn't sure that it was possible to better your last post.... but you did it.
    23 times in the time it took you to write the post is alot of playing with balls. I had this same interaction with the Sweater project's, Dave Roth, where he said he would send me one of his balls in the mail and I was giddy... giddy darn it!

    In all seriousness though, here is a tip I learned from brooklyntweed's blog (in case you don't know it already)... its a tip about winding btw..... Wind, wind, wind, then when you have about a foot and half or so left unwound hand wind that around just the middle of the yarn cake and secure it- rather than just tucking in the end at the end. Did that make sense at all? You can make the last winds rather tight so that the yarn cake doesn't collapse halfway thru knitting with it.

    I like flat balls because they stack better, like blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Stephieface. I'm Jealous! Man with kilt was gonna send you one of his balls. hahaha

    Oh Darn! I'll have to play with the balls some more and try your tip.

    Anything to keep my hands on Hugo right now. I can't get enough of him! hee hee

    I know, I know, I need to get out more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:29 PM PST

    Eeeee. So this is the ball winder you were telling me about. I feel like I want to buy much yarn so you can show me your new man, uh I mean toy, I mean tool...tool, toy, man, what's the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:30 PM PST

    Eeeee. So this is the ball winder you were telling me about. I feel like I want to buy much yarn so you can show me your new man, uh I mean toy, I mean tool...tool, toy, man, what's the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:00 PM PST

    Honestly, of any tool you can have around the house, I vote for a yarn winder. Its very meditative the way it goes around and around. I even bought one of those ginormous cones of Peaches & Cream ( the 1lb cone!) so that I could have a good bit of winding.

    Get one cherry, get one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:21 PM PST

    Thanks for the love in your blog. This was very funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why men don't knit in public. They are worried that women are going to. Well never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:16 AM PST

    oh, crap! that was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete