Thursday, March 08, 2007

The things we do for the love...

...of a good ball (or 2 or 10) of mohair. Yes, mohair. A lot. And yes, I'm a bit sensitive to it. But I really like it, so I really want to knit with it. Especially when I got such a good deal on a whole bag full of it.




So I will bust out these...




the next time I knit on this shawl....




...it's so purty and sparkly...

I knit up the first ball (Karabella Gossamer) on BART with no protection...and have spent a whole week's worth of days sniffling and gagging over it all. Only to recover in enough time to knit on the way home. (I'm sick aren't I) And then to recover overnight and start the whole crazy process all over again on the way to work. A whole week of this insanity! Ugh. And all this drama from a mohair blend.

Which is why I finally dove into the tool box for the face mask and safety glasses. This real mo-hair is messy! Little puffs everywhere. In my eyes, my nose, my mouth. Gack ack ack choke. It's my first attempt to knit with this lovely HazMat ensemble. I'll let you know how it goes. And there will be no pictures dammit.

But Donna, my pet, you are sensitive! What will you do with this shawl? You won't be able to wear it! I don't care, I will knit it dammit! Unfortunately, I will have to gift it or maybe sell it. That depends. I hang with a lot of sensitives (of different degrees). We run in packs I guess. I am tired of admiring mo-hair from afar. I will find a way to knit it up. I will.

In the meantime, I'm taking a break with some less hairy cotton, faux mohair (which doesn't shed puffs), and silk ribbon. Ahhhh....

(I'm hoping my hands hold out - the yarns are not 100% mohair after all - or I'll have to bust out some rubber gloves - I've never knit with gloves on before, so don't know how well that would work out. The gloves would just push the whole hazmat suit ensemble over the top, don't you think? I'm trying to avoid being snapped wearing this get up too - but I'm sure Spencer will find a way - damn camera phones!)

No comments:

Post a Comment