Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Summer of Sewing has begun...

...oh, have I been having a wonderful time reaquainting myself with my sewing machine. It's been a long time...way too long! I am so taking advantage of the fact that Spencer is off in Texas until the 27th. Usually I just mope and don't do anything, but I've broken out of that and I've been busy!!! YAY!!!

First off, some simple projects... Made over the course of a few nights, a few hours each night.

One seam up the back...and BOOYAH!!! Instant sun dress.



Perfect for wearing around the house when it's too hot to go outside...



And a cute widdle kitty pillow - not stuffed yet, but it's small, just 10" tall and 7" wide... I bought the panel at a thrift store. Kitty looked like he needed a good home.



Oooh, and some plain book covers for me and Honey...




...or are they....

hmmmmm....I've made a small and large one for Honey and a large one for myself. Let's see what's inside, shall we?





OMG!!! Will you look at that...This small one must be for Honey...after all, I have a small one my Mom made for me ages ago...and I still use it...and I'm not really into Biker Babes.

Let's see what's in the large one I made for Honey...some firemen perhaps?

No, another Biker Babe....



Look at THAT!!!! A blonde, a redhead, and a brunette. A regular smorgasbord of Babes for Honey.



Gah...getting tired of Babes, Babes, Babes...where's a Fireman when you need one...


OOOOOHHHH!!!! There he is....



OMG...A whole Fire Crew! S-C-O-R-E!!!!




And the other day, I had the idea of trying to make potholders...just popped into my head one day. So, one trip to the craft store with a coupon, and we get...

Two Biker Babe potholders for Honey...



And one Hunky, stripping, Fireman for Antonella.



The back of the potholders are the lightweight denim I used for the book covers, and I used 2 layers of the insulating lining - I didn't think one was enough. All four layers hand quilted and ready for finishing...

And...if you want to have your own adventures making Hunk or Babe stuff, you can get the fabrics (plus so many others, it's amazing) online at eQuilter.com. Reasonable prices for a great varitey of prints (unbelievable variety), and great service to boot. Just enter what you're looking for in the search box and you'll get a list of prints. For the ones I used, just enter Hunks or Babes. Just remember to ask how big the motifs are...I was surprised at how large the firemen and babes were...made it a bit of a challenge to place them all just so in the projects. Should have ordered a full yard, but only got half yards, and as a result, had very few full motifs to work with - but I was able to get quite a few small projects out of it.

All potholders still need the bias tape trim, but I still need to go back to the craft store for that. Could have sworn I had some here, so that's why I didn't get some before. Oh well, thought I'd show them here, because I'm not sure when I'll get back to the store for it.

And there you have it folks. The first batch of sewing projects for the Summer of Sewing. Just a few days left though. When Spencer comes back from Texas, we prepare for our trip to England!!!

Yes, you read right, Spencer and I take off for England on August 1st. We're going to see Honey and do some mad sightseeing - Spencer has never been. It's our Happy Graduation Spencer, Happy B-day Spencer, Happy B-day Donna, last chance at a decent vacation together, trip. And we can't wait!!!!!! SQUEEEEE!!!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:08 PM PDT

    looks good!!
    mmm.. i think my favourite colour is probablt purple, but i do like pretty much every other colour. especially yellow.

    :) i'm excited! looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:10 PM PDT

    I'm squeeing for you! Got toom for an overly large 8ahem* carry on... I promise not to squirm much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna- I was laughing so hard at all the biker babe photos!! What a hilarious thing to do- put them in like a little peep show! Love it!!

    I'm jealous of the sun dress. I can't wear stuff like that unless it's in the privacy of my own home. The cops might arrest me for soliciting if I wore it to the grocery story or Post Office!! I've always dreamed of the cute and easy sun dress made from the pre-elasicized top! Good for you!

    oh- and that kitty pillow? I TOTALLY had one.
    Thanks for posting all these fun projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:15 AM PDT

    Me likey!! :)

    ReplyDelete