Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Time for some bike Pics!

Hi everyone!

First off, let me introduce you to my new bike:

Everyone, this is Drill Sergeant Puffy Blue (Sgt. Puff for short)...



She's got a nice comfy, padded saddle - perfect for cushioning my cushy bum.



And, as of today, one very nicely balanced and perky Rack. (that one's for you Rachel.)




Spencer said she looks like she's armored up now and ready for battle...not quite, still need to get her a front basket.

And, in keeping with Military Tradition, she's even got some really awesome tatts. Check out her ink...




And there you are folks, my dream bicycle. Sgt Puff is Ms Puffy's older and tougher big sis. She's so tough (how tough is she?), I've ridden just under 20 miles on her and I've been riding less than a week. She's a real task master. Oh, and I've lost 3 lbs. already! YAY.

How do I know I've biked this many miles? Do I have a fancy on board computer thingy? No. I use MapMyFitness. It's a bit fiddly at first, but you can map out your route and it'll calculate mileage, calories burned and all sorts of wonderful things. All I have to do is keep track of how long I've been out riding (the stopwatch button on my watch is getting a real workout now) and remember where I've gone. This site will also search and list out favorite local bike trails! I've only just begun to learn what all it can do. Oh, and you can track walking, biking, running, swimming, various sports, etc all on the same site (a few years ago, it used to be just running). My favorite part is the activity calendar thing...you can pull up a calendar and see which days you've done what. So far, I've got a little biker icon on every day since Friday.

Spencer and I did so much riding this weekend, it was a blast. Think what we'll do the next weekend he's here with me is go onto the fitness site and search out one of the shorter bike rides, pack a lunch and head out. Now that I've got my baskets, we can fill those up with food - don't have to worry about having the weight the whole time as Spencer will make sure and eat everything up. He's going through another growth spurt...sigh.

Slowly, but surely, I'm building up my endurance and my energy is improving somewhat. Right now I try to ride a minimum of 5 miles a day. This weekend I did more cos I had Spencer chasing me around and encouraging me to go just a little bit further and faster. Yesterday and today were just short rides to and from the bike shop, but tomorrow, I'm back for a longer ride!

5 comments:

  1. Love the blue! And those collapsible racks look really handy and not too bulky. Very cool.

    You know Donna, I do admire you for taking this step of dumping the gas guzzler and now jumping on the bike. I think it's great!

    I'm going to go check out that site now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:11 AM PDT

    Ooooh - more little red dots on the map! I think you should make Spence carry everything, though. After all, he's going to eat it all! And just wait till I get a bike with one more gear than yours....

    Honey
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:13 PM PDT

    Way to go! I like the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Lovely bike. I want a new one, but I don't ride the old one, so I have trouble justifying the expense...

    ReplyDelete