- My haircut does NOT work well with a bike helmet. Especially after I went to bed with it still damp. I've been wearing a baseball cap all day. Must come up with a more bike friendly coiffure - that's still sassy.
- It's still nice and cool at 6am. If I could only be so lucky at 6pm.
- Gnats love swarming round my head - had an unexpected second breakfast. Blech.
- Trail Maintenance cut the weeds recently. The wind was blowing. Very bad combination for someone with allergies. Not looking forward to that on the ride home. Ack.
- Really need to get over my apprehension about wearing spandex compression shorts. They really are the best thing to wear when riding. I just hate feeling (and looking) like an overstuffed sausage. And what if all the seams simultaneously burst?!?
- My new bra passed the riding-the-bike-down-a-bumpy-trail-and-not-getting-black-eyes test. Thank you Playtex.
- Not too many Energizer Stations were open at 6:25am. I decided to wait a few minutes while the nice ladies and gentlemen set up things at the trail crossroads for their 6:30am opening. I wasn't the only biker there waiting so didn't feel so bad about it. The yummies, bike bell/compass, latest trail maps, and other assorted goodies packed in the free tote were worth the 5 minutes I "rested".
- Clif Bar has a bar aimed at kids - "Kidz Bar". It's just as nasty as the ones for adults. The smiling REI reps at the BART station assured me they tasted better than the adult ones. They don't. Guess it's just me, I never have liked those energy bar things.
- Even though I forgot my lip balm, the smiling REI reps did have some to give away. They are forgiven for the Clif Bar thing.
Things I learned on the ride home:
- Gnats have no time boundaries. They swarm all day, every day. Yes, there was also a snack on the way home. Gah.
- People want to talk about my bike. It took me 55 min to make a usually 30 min trip. I had too much fun socializing.
- Little girls under 5 LOVE. MY. BIKE.
- The later in the day it gets, the more free stuff you can get. Yes, Honey, I have a bag each for you and your Mum, and Spencer has lots of snacks and a mini bottle of Gatorade. I loaded up on "Cuties", and 100 calorie snacks.
- I have my best ideas while riding along. Going to cut quite a bit of length off an old broomstick skirt I used to wear to dance class and see how it looks over the compression pants. In my head it looks very cool and bohemian. In reality, hmmm... These things don't usually go very well for me, but I'm always willing to try!
- It wasn't as hot as I thought it would be - but it was still quite toasty.
- I need to ride more. I miss riding my totally awesome bike. I LOVE my bike.
- Allergies suck.
- Not enough of a good thing leads to too much of a good thing. Someday I will find the happy medium where anti-chafing lotion is concerned.
I sure do hope I sleep well tonight. I worked HARD, and I definitely need some sleep. Haven't had a decent night since I ran off to Texas to be with Mom and Sis...