Monday, August 27, 2007

By jove, I think she's made progress...

Sunday night I was up late going through work crap. I was copying over files from the server up in Sacramento down to my laptop. Anyone who knows (or cares) how this works knows that's a slow process. So, I had plenty of time to get things organized. Before I get into that though, let me fill you in on how my day went...

Started off with a trip to Urban Ore looking for bed tables. Things didn't quite work out there, and some young kid who works there was rude, so I left. I was going to buy a cabinet and convert it, you know put legs on it and so on...but after the rudeness thing, left it and moved on.

Next stop, Ikea. I was in the area and needed some organizing crap for my office crap, so what the hell. Total madhouse at 11am. Note to self, stick to going on Saturday night around 8pm. Everyone else is out having a life, so you've pretty much got the store to yourself and you won't wait in line for 45 minutes to check out. Anyway, picked up some plastic bins inserts that had sections in them for my metal basket drawer thing. Two metal basket drawers all organized...check. Picked up a pack of wheels so I can roll the drawer thing away when I want. Check. Picked up a big plastic bin to replace the bottom two metal drawers...check...but wait...can't put too much weight in it or it keeps falling off the rails. Uncheck. Oh well, I can use the plastic thing in a different metal rail setup and have put the two basket drawers back. Re-check. Went through 3 of 4 work boxes. Recycled a lot of paper. Really wish I would have had the time at work to go through all this before I packed it and lugged it all home. I didn't though, so there you have it. Last box is filled with archive CDs, Blank CDs, plastic CD cases and a few files. That box will be history in no time. Just need to find out if I even need to keep those archive CDs any more. And need to get maybe a hanging file box for the remaining files I've got. Don't have enough to fill a two drawer filing cabinet and don't really have the room for one anyway. With the file box, I can tuck it in the closet and not worry about it taking up too much room. Maybe a few of those expandable filing envelope things will work...that way, I can store them under the printer. We'll have to see.

On to where I went after Ikea...

On the way back, an idea popped into my head to go visit a thrift store that I haven't been to in a long time. Anna's Attic on Clayton Road near Ygnacio Blvd in Concord. SCORE...BIG TIME... As I approached the store from the Ygnacio side, I spotted the 75% off everything sign. It was the last full weekend of the month. They put the whole store 75% off to clear out as much inventory as they can. They always have good housewares, jewelry and the occasionally awesome piece of furniture, so I highly recommend it. Go early, though 'cause the deals go fast! They usually have good prices anyway though, so go whenever you can. As I pulled into the lot, I noticed the big tent along the other side of the building...ESTATE SALE...LAST DAY...EVERYTHING 75% OFF. Damn, was my timing right or what. I parked in the first available spot, ran into the tent and there sitting all by it's lonesome was a bed table marked at $20. I scooped it up and dropped a fiver at the register. Mid century style, which is my favorite. Two drawers. M-I-N-E. Looks great next to the bed...perfect height and everything. Packed it up into the car with my Ikea treasures and went back to the main store to see what was left. Got a nice bowl for my fruit for 5o cents and a string of pearls (real) for $5. After all that excitement, I headed home - with the biggest smile on my face - I had finally found the perfect bed table...

Was so worn out after all that bargain shopping that I took a nap. Once I got up, I was all set to attack the work stuff and am really happy with my progress so far. I think I'll work on that last box a bit tonight and see what I've got going on in there. Tomorrow while I'm working and waiting for stuff to finish doing it's thing, I think I'll start in on all the bags of paper I've got stacked next to me here in the dining area.

And lastly, today's WFH episode started out rocky, but with the help of a co-worker and my Honey, I've got things working a lot smoother now. Oh, and the other problem that I'd been working on for two days with no resolution? Solved. WOOT! All had to do with working out stuff with vpns, old ids, new ids, migrating from old domain to new domain and all kinds of other geeky crap I almost have no clue about - but am learning in detail quite quickly. Sigh.

Well, back to the boxes and bags. I'm on a roll...

No comments:

Post a Comment