Sunday, March 10, 2013

Awkward.

So I promised this past week that I would start practicing with the makeup this weekend.

Well, I did.  Let me tell you, if you want to make yourself feel like you have no coordination at all, start wearing makeup when you are 49.  I usually don't have much coordination lately anyway, but this really pushed me over the edge.  I think this task is worse than me trying to use a blow dryer and a brush.

It didn't help that I can't see a thing without my reading glasses.  I was fine putting on the powder bits around my face but when it came time for my eyes.  Yikes.

I put a bit more stuff on one side of my face than the other, but I'll get better with practice.  The eyeliner came out a bit too thick and I believe I got carried away with the under eye concealer/brightener stuff, but oh well.  The eye shadow didn't look right either.

And that is EXACTLY why I'm doing all this now and why I specifically went to a counter and had someone do it for me and then show me how to do it.  I needed a LOT of help and I need all the time I can get in order to get this all down.

I could actually just have someone "do it for me" on the day of the ceremony, but that's not what I want.  I don't want to feel like I have theatrical makeup on... I've been to a LOT of weddings in my time and I didn't like what I saw...I mean the brides were absolutely beautiful and flawless, but it all seemed a bit thick on them.  I don't know, I just don't want that for me.  What I do want is a natural look on the day, and still be able to use that on any other day before or after the wedding as well.  I'm not looking at this as a one time thing.  Once the hot flashes stop, I may be able to do a bit less, but this seems to be good for me at the moment.

While I had my hair pulled back during my practice session last night, I noticed that there needs to be some coloring going on here sooner rather than later.  I checked my calendar and have a reminder set on Wednesday night to do just that, but I might need to bump it up to Monday night.  I'll call my stylist in the morning and see if she can fit me in after work...hahaha.

I promise that all my blog posts won't be just about wedding prep stuff.  I have other things I want to write about too - I have some finished objects to post!  All this wedding prep stuff is letting me see a different way to be a woman though and to me that is very interesting.  Some of it I like, some of it I don't, but will do it for the wedding, and it's all just damn awkward because I'm not used to doing any of it.  Most of it I'll keep in my arsenal of knowledge for when the time comes that I need to get all fancied up.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the make up! It can be fun when you get used to wearing it, and can get a bit quicker as well. I feel washed out without it, so I rarely leave the house without it, unless I'm going for a walk in my sweats or something.

    Thanks for the tip on the nail vitamins, because my nails are, and always have been, dry and brittle.

    I did my own makeup when I got married, for very similar reasons. I wanted to look like me. :) Do you have a date set yet?

    ReplyDelete