Sunday, September 13, 2009

I like when the Angels bowl...

Anyone who lives in the SF Bay Area knows about the lightening and thunderstorm we had early Saturday morning.

I enjoyed it! One thing I miss about living in the Midwest (Chicago, then Texas) is the thunder and lightening.

When I was younger, I was frightened of it. Who wouldn't be as a young child? It's scary!

Mom and Dad explained away the thunder and lightening as Angels bowling. Close lightening and the consequently very loud thunder meant a STRIKE! I still managed to squeeze in their bed (like a chicken my sis would say) when a particularly bad storm would hit.

Anyway, as I grew older, I came to understand what lightening and thunder really were (thanks science and meteorology classes) and came to like hearing the rolling grumbles and the occasional flashes of light.

This past early (5:50am) Saturday, I was awake when it hit - my usual woke-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-can't-fall-back-asleep scenario. I saw the flash first and thought a car was turning around in the parking lot outside my window. Then I heard the rumble...could it be? NO! YES! It was!!! Thunder.

Yay! I opened the living room curtains and sat on the couch for a while watching the lightening and listening to the thunder. Before long, I was feeling sleepy again...like a baby listening to a lullaby.

Off to bed I went and slept soundly for a few hours.

When I finally woke up, it was cloudy and raining. Ah sweet rain, how we need you. It probably wasn't enough to do much for the very dry conditions around here, but I'm sure it did a little bit of good.

Unfortunately, the lightening sparked a few fires out in the wilds, but according to the last news report I watched, they seem to have it under control.

Another storm is due in late tonight and is set to stay into the morning. I hope some thunder comes along with it. We rarely get lightening and thunder in the area here. I for one, welcome nature's noises.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:03 PM PDT

    I still think that the thunder is the Angels bowling! :)

    ReplyDelete