Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Room Redeco, Step 1 - Yarn Stash Wrangling

After several false starts and just plain ignoring it, the yarny organization portion of the closet re-do in Spencer's room is almost complete.  Only thing left to do is to go through all my needles and notions and knitterly what-nots.  Most of those are going in a special box on the shelf, directly above the hanging thing.  The rest will go in organizers I hope to make and hang off the side of the hanging thing which has some very handy dandy pockets and straps along both sides.  First I need to see what I have.

Here is a photo as promised.  This is all of my yarn.  Yes, ALL of my yarn.  If it doesn't fit in this hanging thing, it does not stay or come into the apartment.  If you are a non-knitter, you will think, "Wow, that is a LOT of yarn!"  If you are a knitter, you'll think, "Oh that poor thing, she's STARVING herself, absolutely STARVING herself!"

I have plenty of stash, seriously, I do.  At the rate I knit, this should probably last me about 5 years.  A different way to look at it is: one sweater (that's the denim yarn on the bottom shelf, yes I found it!), a dozen or so cotton cloths, 11 definite pairs of socks, 5 shawls/wraps, 1 scarf, and what could be either 6 wraps or 6 pairs of socks.  Oh, and half a T.A.R.D.I.S.

Whether you are a knitter or a non-knitter, you are thinking, "Wow, that's a shitload of knitting."

(Some of you are thinking, "What the heck is a T.A.R.D.I.S."  Google is your friend.  Watch the Doctor and learn my friends.)

Anyway, yes, it is a LOT of knitting - especially for me because I knit when the spirit moves me, and it takes me a long time to finish something. Most of the time I start something, get pretty far in it, then decide to take it apart and make it into something else.  It's just the way I knit - and I enjoy the hell out of it.

By the way, not included in the hanging stash is the sweater I already have on needles and a shawl I'm also working on...the sweater lives in my project bag next to Chair and the shawl occasionally travels with me.

Next up is the sewing stash.  It's a bit too heavy for a hanging stash keeper, so I'm going to have to come up with something else.  I have been looking at various web pages about organizing such things as fabric, patterns, and thread.  I have shelf space, various nice boxes, and a creative mind.

Onward and upward.

1 comment:

  1. I like the size of your stash - it's enough so you can do what you feel like doing, but not overwhelming. Mine isn't nearly as big as some I've seen (the yarn fits in an armoire and isn't squished full by any means) but it's still a LOT. Especially as I've been spinning much more than knitting lately. And let's not discuss my fiber stash....

    ReplyDelete